Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Finished: Venice Rediscovered

This morning I went hunting for a mat and frame because yesterday I finally finished a drawing that I've been working on for months.  Today was a rare sunny day in the middle of Seattle's winter, so I wanted to take advantage of the light and take some photos of my drawing for an Etsy post.  Here's a sneak preview:


I'm hoping to post it in The Purple Room tomorrow once I'm finished gathering photos of it framed.  The drawing is of buildings along a canal in Venice, and it was inspired by and drawn from a creative commons photo posted by gnuckx on Flickr.  I am so grateful to him and all the other wonderful photographers who open up their work.  Flickr's creative commons search is a great place to get inspired.

This is my fourth Italy drawing like this, and they were all done in various gray colored pencils with a splash of color.  I finished the first two in high school and the third as a wedding gift for my wonderful friend, Sarah.  The technicality of the drawings always made it a very relaxing process, and when I came across gnuckx's photo this past October, I knew I wanted to work on another one.  So much time goes into each one, but finally finishing them is an amazing feeling.

One thing I never did with my past Venice drawings was make digital copies, and I'm not making that mistake this time.  Ideally I would like to have prints made and I think this drawing would make great note cards.  For now, though, I'm ready to enjoy the fact that I've finished another Italy drawing and move on to the next project.

Up next, my motivation for elephant and fox prints.

No comments:

Post a Comment